Re: ORA-12518, 04030 errors after 9i-10G upgrade.

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 11, 6:07 pm, GS <G..._at_GS.com> wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> >> Actually they didn't suggest those notes, but I have read the first one
> >> on my own, and will read the others as well. There was one alert about a
> >> large number of cursors being in use, and I haven't checked to see if
> >> auto-tuning is on (is it by default?)
>
> > Gawsh, I'd think they would have noticed how close the 2nd one was
> > like Mark did.
>
> > SGA_TARGET determines whether auto-tuning is on (see Note:257643.1).
> > If I recall correctly, dbca asks for the target value, but I haven't
> > done it enough to be sure.  Seems to be set in XE.  Docs say default
> > is disabled.  Concept manual notes it will enlarge SGA_MAX_TARGET if
> > it is larger.  I suspect that and the granule size issues might trip
> > up some people (I know I keep forgetting about granules).
>
> >> This is the 2nd 10G upgrade I have done where the database has needed a
> >> LOT more attention and tweaking than it did in 9i just to get it stable,
> >> and this was touted as the "self managing database"?
>
> > I was wondering mostly if you had set USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS but
> > I'm not on Windows so that seemed a reach of a guess, even for me-not-
> > afraid-of-silly-guessing, so I just posted the notes, thinking if you
> > are running up against a 4G limit or whatever, you'd say something
> > after you looked.
>
> >> On another note, it's been over 24 hours since the last update from
> >> Oracle on this severity 2 SR, sure glad I'm paying premium support..
>
> > They pay people to answer calls from pissed-off managers who think
> > pushing gets it done faster (and who may be right with sev 2).  But
> > then again, for continuous work, you need to check that box that says
> > you will be there too.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> >http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080611/news_1n11drone.html
>
> I am considering using the USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS = TRUE if bumping
> the SGA and PGA combined to 1Gb doesn't work. If you read my reply to
> Mark you'll see that so far support has only dealt with sqlnet issues,
> because I logged the tar under connection issues I guess they want to
> rule everything sqlnet related out of the picture before they hand it
> over to database team. As far as I recall I always check the little box
> off saying I am available, but I'll check again. I can hold off the
> grumpy users for while longer, but with them taking so long to respond
> to my last updates saying their last suggestion did not work I am
> getting frustrated..- Hide quoted text -

Your reply to me indicated that you have automatic memory management in use. I do not believe you can use automatic memory management and AWE memory together. Without looking back I think the second Oracle note in the list contains this information.

Have you looked at ML Notes 46053.1 and 46001.1 ?

  • If you have 3-4 GB memory, include the /3GB switch in the Windows startup.
  • If you have 4-8GB memory, use /3GB and /PAE
  • If you have 16 GB or more, use only /PAE, as /3GB will cripple memory over 8GB

Also see MS note
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/memory/base/physical_address_extension.asp

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jun 13 2008 - 10:21:50 CDT

Original text of this message