Re: statistics.

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:34:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 4:09 am, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:50:00 -0700, Superboer wrote:
> > does oracle have such a beast; i found the 'analyze' button which does a
> > dbms_stats.gather_table_stats looking in the help it said it would not
> > look at the data...
>
> Oracle can't collect statistics without looking at the data. DBMS_STATS
> is used to collect the optimizer statistics. It has many options and
> possibilities, in fact, it is a small science. Jonathan Lewis wrote a 500+
> pages book devoted mostly to the stuff related to DBMS_STATS.
>
> --
> Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.freehostia.com

Superboer, I believe the specific statistics related feature you are asking about is histograms. As Mlladen identified the dbms_stats package will generate statistics including histograms if desired. See the Supplied Packages and Types manual for a write up on dbms_stats and its options.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jun 13 2008 - 08:34:39 CDT

Original text of this message