Re: 9iR2 exp -> 10g imp

From: Arch <send.no_at_spam.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:43:53 -0400

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:59:58 -0700 (PDT), Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 12, 4:17 am, Arch <send..._at_spam.net> wrote:
>>
>> >FWIW - I always pre-create the tablespaces and users on the new
>> >database, then just import the relevant schemas (from a full=y export
>> >from the source db).
>>
>> >Which just reminded me, one of the sessions at OOW 07 was about using
>> >exp/imp for upgrading, and some pitfalls and things to watch out for
>> >when upgrading this way. I forget what they (things to watch for) were,
>> >perhaps I can find it on my DVD set..
>>
>> Pardon my butting in here, but if you have info on pitfalls in using
>> this technique to upgrade, I would be very interested. (I'm about to
>> do exactly that)
>>

>watch out for grants, procedures and invalid objects.
>
>Assuming a copy through exp/imp being used to
>land an older db into a new release framework,
>my progress steps are as follows, with a manual
>thorough check step in between each:
>
>1- pre-create all storage (tablespaces), adjust controls for
>new release, whatever they may be.
>2- import schema by schema (owner by owner, NEVER sys or system)
>3- do the import in stages: create tables only, no data (rows=n,
>indexes=n, grants=n)
>4- then disable all created triggers (if any), and load the rows
>(rows=y, indexes=n, grants=n)
>5- then do all indexing (rows=n, indexes=y, grants=n)
>6- then repeat for all other schemas
>7- last, do a grants=y,indexes=n, rows=n import to get all the grants.
>8- last, manually enable anything I've disabled, including
>constraints, triggers and such.
>
>Works fine for most cases. Careful with things like FGAC
>and AQ/replication, those require some careful thinking
>and changes to above steps.

Excellent! This is a plan that I can follow.

One question - to import schema by schema, I think the owners will need to be created in advance. Is there a way to import the owners (with passwords, profiles, roles, etc)?

Thanks very much for the help,
Arch Received on Thu Jun 12 2008 - 08:43:53 CDT

Original text of this message