Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:39:17 +0200

Mark D Powell wrote:
> On Jun 10, 8:21 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
>> And the underlying concepts and architecture of SQL Server is based
>> on the INGRES project at UC Berkeley and bears no relationship to
>> the concepts brought to Oracle. SQL Server 2005 tried to imitate
>> one (MVCC) but otherwise they are essentially different beasts.

> I though SQL Server was based on Sybase since the first version of SQL
> Server was a port of Sybase to the MS DOS platform. Both database
> managers still shared numerous stored procedure names for performing
> the same function and the T-SQL lanaguage.
> -- Mark D Powell --

That's correct.
Note however that Daniel isn't referring to the Ingres *product* but to the Ingres research project in the early 70's (Stonebraker e.a.). Besides the Ingres product, a number of other commercial products were based on this research (Sybase, NonStop SQL etc.). In the early 90's the Sybase code was licensed to Microsoft.