Re: Hash Clustered Table Question - One More Question

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:54:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 10, 8:14 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote in messagenews:lNj3k.5485$jI5.5481_at_flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com...
>
> > I'm reading Tom Kyte's Expert Oracle Database Architecture about Hash
> > Clusted Tables and have a question about something I'm obviously
> > overlooking.
>
> > I've never used hash tables before but wanted to experiment.  I have a
> > small lookup table with only 110 rows.  If I make that into a hash
> > clustered table will the hash key suffice or would I also have to include
> > a primary key?
>
> > Sorry if this is a simple question  but I must be overlooking the obvious
> > somewhere.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> It looks like if I'm going to have a Hash Cluster I'll have (1) the table
> and (2) the cluster.  When I size the objects I know how to size the table.
> I take it I'd be correct in sizing the cluster for the size of the Hash Key
> column?

You do not size clustered tables. You size the hash cluster when you define it and just assign the table to the cluster. In the case of a single table hash cluster the table size is effectively the cluster size.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jun 11 2008 - 10:54:37 CDT

Original text of this message