Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:01:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 10, 12:15 pm, Tracy McKibben <tracy.mckib..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> About a year ago, the company that I work for purchased another
> company.  We're a large SQL Server shop, but this new company has a
> mix of SQL Server and Oracle.  As part of the DBA team, I'm required
> to start learning Oracle, in order to provide production support
> (admin duties, performance tuning, etc..).
>
> Aside from classroom training (doesn't work well for me, I get bored),
> what suggestions are there for getting up to speed?  I'm looking for a
> "in SQL, you do it like this, in Oracle, you do it this way" stuff -
> books, CBT's, whatever.  I'm planning to purchase the "Admin Workshop
> I", "Admin Workshop II", and "Performance Tuning" CBT's from Oracle.
> What else can I look for?

David gave the most perfect answer. I can only add, here's a few pointers about this group and some other resources (including a getting started link at oracle - I'd say go for the Kyte book first, anyways): http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

The admin and 2-day DBA type of courseware tends to be very GUI oriented, some people think you learn it better through command line usage. But whatever works for you - there's a lot to take in, and the unlearning, or adding depth to your viewpoint, as the case may be, is significant, especially if you are the hands-on type.

If you find yourself wanting to dive deep into the performance tuning, see books by Jonathan Lewis and Cary Milsap (and google for some of the posts Charles Hooper has made). But honestly, read the concepts manual first, especially the parts about locking, concurrency and indexing.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080610/news_1b10metabo.html