Re: same query, different parsing users, different plans ...

From: stephen O'D <stephen.odonnell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:29:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 6, 8:58 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 4:08 am, "stephen O'D" <stephen.odonn..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I will update again if this fixes it.
>
> > Giving the 'merge any view' privilege to the non-object owners fixed
> > this problem.
>
> > Personally I think this is a bug waiting to happen, I mean who would
> > possibly have guessed of this sort of behaviour? The merge any view
> > privilege is a feature to enhance security, but the fact that plans
> > generated by user_1 are sub-optimal because of it, and then SHARED is
> > totally unexpected behaviour.
>
> Thanks for the update (and you too, Charles).
>
> Strange: searching the docs for merge any view says it finds one
> match in 10 and 11 docs, then clicking on one it says no exact matches
> were found and gives a bunch. Searching for "merge any view" also
> says it finds one match, but actually shows one when you click on it.
> I do not understand the search function on tahiti.
>
> Not behavior to be guessed, just a lesson to be learned, as the not-a-
> bug shows. I guess.
>
> It's better than this sort of behavior (the old wrong-schema bug):http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_th...
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> “It's amazing how friendly people are when they're naked.” -http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20080606-9999-1n6nude....

Actually I think this is a bug, and is apparently fixed in 10.2.0.4 - if you are running 10.2.0.2, you want to see the list of bugs that are fixed in 10.2.0.4 - A colleague sent me a 3MB word document listing them all, and there are some pretty serious ones in there that can lead to data corruption, redo corruption etc. No doubt 10.2.0.4 will introduce a host of bugs of its own, but hopefully it will fix a lot too - we are going to upgrade as soon as possible ... Received on Tue Jun 10 2008 - 09:29:06 CDT

Original text of this message