Re: Patch Question

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:14:57 -0500

Mtek wrote:
> Hi,
> I had posted eariler about our configuration:
> Oracle
> Linux Red Hat Enterprise x86-64
> It was suggested that rather than apply the 64 patches that were
> listed, we should just upgrade to Is there an 'upgrade' to
> this or can I just apply the, for which it lists 194
> patchsets???
> We are a bit confused......maybe out Metalink search is wrong?

If this confuses you, then are you in the right job?

Patch sets such as, and now are cumulative - each subsequent patch contains all of the patches in the previous patch version + one-off patches. is quite old itself and requires an additional bunch of one-off patches. My advise is to apply or at a minimum CPU patch (CPU=Critical Patch Update) - but be aware that doing so requires an enormous amount of patch storage. On Solaris it is ~3-4G. On HP and AIX it is ~4.5-5.5G.

Which is why I recommend because it only requires an additional 1.5-2.5G.