Re: Stored Procedure: How to output entire buffer

From: Dan Blum <tool_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:56:10 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.databases.oracle.misc Bill Wordsworth <bill.wordsworth_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2:09?pm, Bill Wordsworth <bill.wordswo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wrote a Stored Procedure wherein I use a Cursor to extract multiple
> > rows and columns. I then write them into the buffer
> > (dbms_output.put_line). But when I try to capture the entire result
> > into an OUT variable, I only get the last buffered line.
> >
> > So how do I output the entire buffer- all rows and columns?
> > Cheers, Bill

> In other words (maybe), how do I use dbms_output.get_lines() to assign
> value to an OUT variable?
> Cheers, Bill

I'm sure exactly what you're trying to do here, but I doubt this is the correct approach. Most likely you just want to make your OUT variable a ref cursor. If there's some reason you can't do that, create a record collection type, make the variable that type, and put the cursor results into the variable.

DBMS_OUTPUT is designed to display results - it's not meant to be used like this.

Dan Blum					         tool_at_panix.com