Re: Oracle 9iR2 32bit on windows 2003 server 64bit

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 17:54:09 -0500

marco wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been requested to install Oracle 9i R2 32bit on windows 2003
> server (enterprise) 64 bit running on a AMD architecture.
> Looking at compatibility matrix on metalink, it seems that this is not
> a supported scenario.
> Moreover, the FAQs indicate that it is possible to run Oracle 9i 32bit
> on AMD 64 bit hardware running windows 2003 32 bit. Anyway, our client
> "needs" both windows 64b and oracle 9i.
> Now the question: has anyone ever installed and used the original
> requested configuration (like the subject of this post)??
> Suggestion??
>
> thank you very much in advance.
>
> M.

The question about the configuration is moot because the version (9i) is desupported. The one question you should have the company ask the 9i vendor would be "Why are you still running on an unsupported version of Oracle?" Oracle 9i is in DESUPPORT therefore the vendors application is completely unsupportable. Period.

Is the company you work for willing to pay extra $$$ to Oracle for "extended" support - for which you will receive very little in return? If not, is the vendor willing to pay for that extended support? If not, then they need to find another vendor. The company I work for has changed vendors mid-project because the third-party vendor could not support 10g.

It is beyond me how companies allow their "COTS" package vendors assign risk and sometimes being forced to spend unnecessary dollars to Oracle for support to ensure the COTS vendor's package can run. This is insanity. Received on Sun Jun 08 2008 - 17:54:09 CDT

Original text of this message