Re: Goodbye Fedora!

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:27:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 7, 11:33 am, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wrote more then one post on this group about installing Oracle on
> Fedora, for various versions of Fedora. Fedora has always been a bleeding
> edge endeavour, which helped finding tools and products to use with the
> future versions of Red Hat Linux and Oracle.
>
> At the moment, I am running Oracle11 on Fedora8 and investigating things
> like "Systemtap" (Linux version of Solaris dtrace), iotop (an excellent
> monitor showing the most I/O intensive processes) or a bit more
> sophisticated version called "atop", all of which are available for Linux
> kernel versions 2.6.20+, not yet available in any of the "enterprise"
> distributions.
>
> All was well, Fedora was providing the bleeding edge environment for those
> of us who didn't mind living dangerously and toiling to find workarounds
> for numerous problems. All was well, that is, until Fedora 9. Fedora 9
> decided to break with sysvinit standard and decided to go with a poorly
> documented thing called "upstart". Upstart is used by Ubuntu, as a matter
> of fact, it is a part of the Ubuntu project and can be looked at here:http://upstart.ubuntu.com
>
> One tab on the web page that is absent is called "Documentation". This
> thing that is supposed to replace sysvinit, no less, is not even
> documented! Nothing, nada, zilch, no documentation whatsoever!
> No "enterprise" distributions have announced an intent to adopt the
> "upstart" software, which means that Fedora will no longer resemble the
> venerable Red Hat's "Enterprise Level" Linux. As an Oracle DBA, I was
> using Fedora to train myself and adopt new technologies when they find
> the way into "RHEL" version. This is, obviously, not a good platform any
> more. Oracle doesn't show any signs of supporting Ubuntu, either. My
> next chosen distribution is OpenSuSE. Does anybody have any experience
> or recommendations? Fedora is, simply put, no longer an option.
> It was nice while it lasted.
>
> --http://mgogala.freehostia.com

Hi Mladen,

I started using OpenSuSE for testing when my company went to SLES due to higher support costs with RHAT. I can't say I have had more/less issues with OpenSuSE than I did with CentOS. I too, use it for testing things before we start using them at "work".

I have been running an 11g test cluster on it for six months without an issue. It just "worked".

HTH, Steve Received on Sat Jun 07 2008 - 11:27:26 CDT

Original text of this message