Re: Oracle Cursors with .Net

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 3, 3:48 pm, emeshuris <emeshu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having an argument with our DBA, he is under the impression that
> it is the .net api always opens a cursor.
> However I believe that Oracle always opens a cursor for any select
> statement.
> Can someone shed some light?
> Regardless of what the answer is, why is it that oracle relies so
> heavily on cursors?
>
> -Edward

I think this might be what he is talking about: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/588ec84c1bce6980 In other words, it is easy for someone using these sorts of api's to always be opening and closing cursors, and I think if you google some more you will find things like this more exactly like what you are talking about. Note there is a tool suggested in the thread I referenced to see exactly what is happening, so you can try it rather than simply argue about it.

Somewhere there are explanations on things like when implicit cursors are better than explicit cursors, I don't have time to look just now, but probably on asktom. There is a lot of information about cursors there!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Party favors! http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080606/news_1b6broadcom.html