Re: ASM Question - Best Practice

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:16:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 2, 8:23 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> Palooka wrote:
> > Our application will likely use Oracle 10g (probably 10.2.0.4) on AIX
> > v6, using an EMC Symmetrix SAN. The environment doesn't exist yet - we
> > are at the planning stage.
>
> > The intention is to use ASM. So first question: The mirroring can be
> > done within ASM; i.e. by Oracle, or we can do it at the SAN level.
>
> The answer is - it depends on your requirements for redundancy.  You can
>   do both if you like.  You could configure your "mirrors" via Oracle
> ASM and point them to two different arrays that can utilize any level
> RAID-0, RAID0+1 or RAID-5 redundancy - depending on how many spindles
> you want to use which translates to what ever your budget can handle.

Ouch.

Most any competent company that has a storage system that does RAID well uses external redundancy for ASM.

This sounds like you made up your answer.

The mirroring that ASM "can do" is mostly applicable to environments with cheaper disk subsystems.

> Best Practice at most companies will vary depending on the criticality
> of the data being stored.

Is that some kind of mantra? Received on Fri Jun 06 2008 - 10:16:17 CDT

Original text of this message