Re: Oracle Cursors with .Net

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 05:28:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 4, 6:20 pm, "David Portas"
<REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dpor..._at_acm.org> wrote:
> "Ed Prochak" <edproc..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > ANY SELECT statement in ANY database opens a cursor. That cursor may
> > be explicit or implicit, but it exists either way. This comes straight
> > out of the SQL standard.
>
> Why do you say this comes from the SQL standard? The standard says that
> cursors must be created with a DECLARE statement. As far as I'm aware there
> is no such thing as an implicit cursor in standard SQL. No such reference in
> the 1999 or 2003 docs anyway.
>
> --
> David Portas

Maybe I should not have said straight out of the standards. I only have a reference (Martin Gruber's Instant Reference) It defines a cursor as an object to hold the results of a query for processing. But I honestly think the exact same operation of open, fetch, close must happen internally for any select statement, on its own or within a CURSOR statement.

So I'll change my defense to appeal to the Oracle documentation. 8^)

   Ed Received on Fri Jun 06 2008 - 07:28:30 CDT

Original text of this message