Re: same query, different parsing users, different plans ...

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 5, 10:10 am, "stephen O'D" <stephen.odonn..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 10053's for each scenario - the telling thing in them is that
> Oracle doesn't even consider the index on V2/T2 when it chooses the
> bad plan - search the entire file for it, and all you get is the part
> that lists its stats.
>
> On the good plan, you can see it trying the join scenarios and costing
> a full scan of T2 and then an Index probe (which wins by a mile - cost
> of 3/4 instead of 20000 odd).
>
> If you think you will have time to look I can post the full query and
> 10053's - its a lot of stuff to post to here though.

You might check the second to last post in this thread to see if it applies:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/de795aeabe4d8a94/5a12e04b1f35ae4a

It seems like I have seen a couple blog posts that describe this problem, but I can't find those at the moment.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Jun 05 2008 - 14:16:54 CDT

Original text of this message