Re: ASM Question - Best Practice

From: AGT <usenetpersongerryt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:58:30 -0700

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:02:01 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:49:56 +0100, Palooka wrote:

>> Thanks Gopal, and to all others who responded. It'll be interesting to
>> see what Frank has to say about the "bug pit". I hope he will amplify.

> I disagree with Frank. I haven't had any problems with ASM and
> I find it much more convenient then raw devices. ASM is, essentially,
> an adiministration tool which helps you administer raw devices.
> You get all the speed of raw devices and no administrative overhead.
> You don't have to constantly ask SA to provision partitions in 16GB chunks
> for you.

Really? Youd have to where I drop in. All Sun shops. Only an SA (on Sun labelled disks) would/should have a clue how to prep a label up, change the ownership of devs, etc in such a way that dbca for example could even see the stuff. Received on Wed Jun 04 2008 - 14:58:30 CDT

Original text of this message