Re: Sql expert certification

From: Mike Jones <mj2008b_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:42:49 -0600

"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message news:0994d0c3-1d47-48bb-963c-ac901a75a8ef_at_a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> On Jun 4, 3:31 am, Rahul <nrahulj..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Want to know about this certification and also need material for the
>> same
>
> I have never heard of "SQL expert certification".
>
> Who offers it?
> What criteria does the certification cover?
> What is your purpose in pursuing it?
>
> If you are going to work with Oracle I think you might want to
> consider OCP.
>
> But experience and qualifications are usually much more important than
> a certification when seeking a job.

Just to throw in an anecdote about certifications.

A former co-worker of mine who was an excellent network engineer (top notch) felt the same way about experience and certifications. So much so that he didn't take advantage of our companies training opportunities to obtain certifications. He was laid off as a result of the company being acquired and subsequently had difficulty obtaining new employment because he did not have any certifications (though he had plenty of experience). Once he found a job he immediately obtained several certifications.

While I believe experience is key obtaining a certification should not be difficult if you know your stuff. If you truly know your stuff then sitting for a certification exam should not be a problem. It also shows an employer you're taking an active role in advancing your career. And it makes it a lot easier to get by the automated filters of the candidate screening process.

Just my two cents. Received on Wed Jun 04 2008 - 14:42:49 CDT

Original text of this message