Re: no permissions on tnsnames.ora

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:49:54 +0200

<kbloomfield_at_yahoo.com> schreef in bericht news:7de5e142-85d4-4c8b-8afa-47a27576b0c0_at_f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... On 4 Jun, 08:52, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> kbloomfi..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hello Guys,
>
> > Have had a 9.2 client installed by a 3rd party on linux so pull some
> > data of the linux box and squirt it into a remote oracle db. However I
> > dont have permission to alter the tnsnames.ora file cos I dont have
> > the oracle or root password.
> > [user_at_server02 admin]$ ls -l tnsnames.ora
> > -rw-rw-r-- 1 oracle dba 337 Jun 3 13:36 tnsnames.ora
> > So I cannot connect to the remote service.
> > Or can I? Is there a workararound for connecting with sqlplus?
> > Would it be normal to ask the hosting team to alter the client config
> > as and when needed?
> > TIA
>
> > Kevin
>
> Anyone which is member of the oradba group can alter this file
> Besides, should we interpret this a "the 3rd party did a lousy job"?
>
> Maybe it's for the best you were not given the oracle password
> --
>
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel- Hide quoted text -

-Have set TNS_NAMES to point to my user's home dir and put a suitable
-tnsnames.ora in there.
-ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
-no EZCONNECT in sqlnet.ora - so no workaround possible.
-
-> Anyone which is member of the oradba group can alter this file
-> Besides, should we interpret this a "the 3rd party did a lousy job"?
-Dont quite understand this - the only user that is a member of dba is
-oracle - my user is not - and only the 3rd party has root - I dont see
-the downside of oracle being a member of dba nor the fact the
-tnsnames.ora is writable by a dba group member.
-
-Thanks for all the responses to date BTW!

You should set TNS_ADMIN. Not TNS_NAMES.

Shakespeare Received on Wed Jun 04 2008 - 13:49:54 CDT

Original text of this message