Re: Oracle Cursors with .Net

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 04:40:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 3, 6:48 pm, emeshuris <emeshu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having an argument with our DBA, he is under the impression that
> it is the .net api always opens a cursor.
> However I believe that Oracle always opens a cursor for any select
> statement.
> Can someone shed some light?
> Regardless of what the answer is, why is it that oracle relies so
> heavily on cursors?
>
> -Edward

ANY SELECT statement in ANY database opens a cursor. That cursor may be explicit or implicit, but it exists either way. This comes straight out of the SQL standard.

Perhaps the issue is that the .NET application is not closing its explicit cursors?

  Ed Received on Wed Jun 04 2008 - 06:40:04 CDT

Original text of this message