Re: Oracle Cursors with .Net

From: news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 02:28:26 GMT

"emeshuris" <emeshuris_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:2982ab81-deb2-4c34-8832-d49a4c005b4c_at_z16g2000prn.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> I am having an argument with our DBA, he is under the impression that
> it is the .net api always opens a cursor.
> However I believe that Oracle always opens a cursor for any select
> statement.
> Can someone shed some light?
> Regardless of what the answer is, why is it that oracle relies so
> heavily on cursors?
>
> -Edward

Not sure I understand the question. How would you get your data without opening a cursor? You can't read the datafile directly. If you do a select ... from .. where ... ; you open a cursor. .net uses the OCI interface to retrieve data. (so does ODBC, etc. - exception being jdbc thin driver) In all those cases you open a cursor. What is wrong with opening a cursor? You seem to imply it is a bad thing.
Jim Received on Tue Jun 03 2008 - 21:28:26 CDT

Original text of this message