Re: no permissions on tnsnames.ora

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:32:10 +0200

<kbloomfield_at_yahoo.com> schreef in bericht news:22c7701d-58be-4ab3-a7a4-03c2e419d77b_at_k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> Hello Guys,
>
> Have had a 9.2 client installed by a 3rd party on linux so pull some
> data of the linux box and squirt it into a remote oracle db. However I
> dont have permission to alter the tnsnames.ora file cos I dont have
> the oracle or root password.
> [user_at_server02 admin]$ ls -l tnsnames.ora
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 oracle dba 337 Jun 3 13:36 tnsnames.ora
> So I cannot connect to the remote service.
> Or can I? Is there a workararound for connecting with sqlplus?
> Would it be normal to ask the hosting team to alter the client config
> as and when needed?
> TIA
>
> Kevin
>

> ls -l

You can set the TNS_ADMIN enviroment variable, and put a tnsnames.ora in that directory.
Or:
You can use the complete setting you would normally put in TNSNAMES.ORA as connect string in stead of the alias.

Shakespeare Received on Tue Jun 03 2008 - 12:32:10 CDT

Original text of this message