Re: Recovery Manager (RMAN) problem

From: sati_82 <krys_tek_at_interia.pl>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 07:24:45 -0700 (PDT)

On 2 Cze, 14:46, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, if you are running 10g, you can use flashback to restore
> tables to some arbitrary time in the past (within undo_retention
> limits.) No need to do full-blown PITR. For example, you can
>
> CREATE TABLE my_table_as_of_before_the_bad_data
> AS SELECT * FROM my_table AS OF {timestamp|SCN}
> {WHERE ...}
>
> and this will create a copy of the data as it was at the specified SCN
> or within +/-3 seconds of the timestamp. You can the replace the bad
> data from this copy or simply swap the tables.
>
> Secondly, how did you restore your tablespace (what were the exact
> commands you entered and the output from RMAN you received?) Are you
> sure you did TSPITR?

Yes, I've been working on Oracle 10g but I think that Flashback Technology
couldn't be a good solution for me. I based my opition on UNDO limitations.
The mechanism which I want to develop shuold allow to rollback to e.g. 1 month (or more)
in the past. I read that Flashback Technology is better solution for a "short-distance". Do you agree?

About RMAN, I think I didn't TSPITR because I do not have an auxiliary instance
which is mandatory in TSPITR architecture. So I do the following:

First: RMAN> run {

2> allocate channel d1 type disk;
3> backup tablespace USERS_CUSTOM format '/home/oracle/rman_002.bus'
4> database;
5> }