Re: ASM Question - Best Practice

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:23:45 -0500

Palooka wrote:
> Our application will likely use Oracle 10g (probably on AIX
> v6, using an EMC Symmetrix SAN. The environment doesn't exist yet - we
> are at the planning stage.
> The intention is to use ASM. So first question: The mirroring can be
> done within ASM; i.e. by Oracle, or we can do it at the SAN level.

The answer is - it depends on your requirements for redundancy. You can   do both if you like. You could configure your "mirrors" via Oracle ASM and point them to two different arrays that can utilize any level RAID-0, RAID0+1 or RAID-5 redundancy - depending on how many spindles you want to use which translates to what ever your budget can handle.

Best Practice at most companies will vary depending on the criticality of the data being stored.