Re: How to find out version and install security patches?

From: A. Farber <Alexander.Farber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Joel,

On Jun 2, 10:22 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 3:54 pm, "A. Farber" <Alexander.Far..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> You might poke around at oracle.com and look for things like "2-day
> DBA," though watch versions.

thanks, it looks good and I'll probably also make my boss to spend me a few days DBA course, but end of summer, not now - because of lack of time.

Anyone knows good Oracle DBA courses in Germany?

My little story is that I was doing developer/SW builds support at a big corp. But now our site is being shut down and I'm becoming one of 2 sysadmins at a 300 people car devices firm being split from the big corp. I'd prefer finding a developer job (C/Perl/Unix), but a 2nd kid is coming this or next week :-) so we aren't mobile...

So while reading about RMAN I also have to read on Win 2003 AD+DNS+DHCP and Synergy administration (ex-colleague gives me crash course) + other tasks...

> > After lots of searching I've managed to install
> > version 9i.2 at a CentOS 5 Linux machine.
>
> Is this production or test?

Unfortunately production. 30 users are using the test program using this Oracle database. They keep bugging me (important project bla bla) but haven't even thought about patches/backups.

They want to start using it 16th of June.

> Look around for "project lockdown" starting athttp://www.oracle.com/security/security-best-practices.html

Ok I'll do, but is it possible to secure Oracle 9 at all (since the version is so old)?

> > Also is there maybe an easy way for me to
> > create daily snapshots of the program database?
>
> What really matters is how you intend to restore. RMAN is generally
> best for backup/restore, but if you say "snapshot," I wonder what
> intentions you have. Some 3rd party products assume a logical backup,
> which is often the wrong way to go about it, but it depends.

I was initially intending to export complete database every night to a file on a NetApp (we have 2 NetApps), but now I'll better try to use RMAN.

Regards
Alex Received on Mon Jun 02 2008 - 16:03:54 CDT

Original text of this message