Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

From: Georg Scholz <georgscholz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:23:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 1, 3:45 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 03:10:04 -0700 (PDT), Georg Scholz
>

> <georgsch..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hello,
>
> >I applied the patch from Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3
> >(Machine: Windows XP, SP 2)
>
> >tnsping works fine.
>
> >However, wenn connecting with sqplplus or TOAD, I get the following:
>
> >ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested
> >in connect descriptor
>
> >I get this on the server itself, and also on all client PCs.
>
> >Any help is highly appreciated!
>
> >Thank you
> >Georg Scholz
>
> You did look up the error message?

> So why didn't you run
> lsnrctl services
> to verify whether this is true?

Because I didn't know that the lsnrctl program exists at all. I don't know much about the listener. Up to now, it simply worked, so it was never necessary for me to use any admin tools for it. I'm mainly a database developer, not an administrator. In my place, I am just maintaing a database for development purposes.

> Or are you too lazy to troubleshoot and dumping the error rightaway?

Or did you recently undergo brain surgery, thereby removing your brain's social interaction area?

Anyway, thank you for your help. It helped me along, and I ways able to solve the problem.
I am understanding the listener now better.

Georg Scholz