Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:05:19 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:32:55 +0100, Eric wrote:
>

>> And I don't think comparison articles help anybody.

> They do. They help writers of comparison articles.

I do substantial cross-training of Oracle and SQL Server and I've read just about everything published on the Oracle side about SQL Server and everything published on the Microsoft side about Oracle.

About the only person I've ever read who had something worthwhile to say was Tom Kyte in that he started by discussing the underlying, fundamental, differences. If someone doesn't get that they are like a surgeon with a scalpel who never took an anatomy class.

SQL Server is scrambling to be like Oracle. Oracle is scrambling to be like no other database has ever been. The beneficiaries are DBAs, developers, and the companies that employ them.

Anyone truly interested in understanding SQL Server needs to start with Michael Stonebraker and Eugene Wong at UC Berkeley and their INteractive Graphics REtrieval System (INGRES).

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor