Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:28:57 -0700

Eric wrote:
> On 2008-05-31, Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net> wrote:

>> On 2008-05-31, news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net> wrote:
>>> SQL!=MS SQL Server
>>> SQL= Structured Query Language
>>> You are misusing an industry standard term.  You are promolgating bad
>>> information.  It hurts your reputation as a professional.
>>> Jim
>>>
>> Jim, "SQL Server" is the trade mark and product name for the main stream
>> database product Microsoft sells. So, I am correct in writing the product
>> name "SQL Server" without the prefix.

> Of course you are.
>
>> Would you write Oracle Oracle RDBMS when refering to Oracle? No; didn't
>> think so - well, you might but nobody else on here or in the market place
>> does.

> No, we wouldn't, but mostly because it sounds silly - though on those
> occasions when we need to distinguish between Oracle Rdb and the Oracle
> RDBMS ...
>
>> I can only assume that you've not researched or just entered the database
>> field if you've not hear of the product "SQL Server" from Microsoft; or,
>> perhaps you are just trying to be a smart arse - my guess is the latter.
>>

> Now that's just silly. He is making an important point. I'm sure I'm not
> the only one who is tired of trying to educate recruitment agencies and
> even potential employers/clients/customers as to the difference between
> SQL and SQL Server when they appear on a CV. Are you sure that you
> yourself _never_ say just "SQL" when you mean "SQL Server"? Do you
> correct others who do?
>
> E.
>
> P.S. It would be nice if you wouldn't remove the top attribution when
> replying to a post, so that we know who you are replying to, as well as
> what. I have restored it above.

To be fair here Microsoft, from my observation always is careful to use its trademarked brand "Microsoft SQL Server." This, unfortunately is not true of many, who are lazy, and refer to it as "Microsoft SQL database" such as this:
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/19/28/192897_192897.pdf http://forums.gearhost.com/Forum24-1.aspx and thousands more.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor