Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Tony Rogerson <>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 13:03:12 +0100

> SQL!=MS SQL Server
> SQL= Structured Query Language
> You are misusing an industry standard term. You are promolgating bad
> information. It hurts your reputation as a professional.
> Jim

Jim, "SQL Server" is the trade mark and product name for the main stream database product Microsoft sells. So, I am correct in writing the product name "SQL Server" without the prefix.

Would you write Oracle Oracle RDBMS when refering to Oracle? No; didn't think so - well, you might but nobody else on here or in the market place does.

I can only assume that you've not researched or just entered the database field if you've not hear of the product "SQL Server" from Microsoft; or, perhaps you are just trying to be a smart arse - my guess is the latter.

Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
[Ramblings from the field from a SQL consultant]
[UK SQL User Community]