Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:58:36 +0100

>> BTW - if you want to see some of the original thought that went into
>> SAME, here's the original white paper -
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/oow2000_same.pdf
>>
>> Note that this predates the Automatic Storage Management capabilities
>> released in 10g, which removes the need for cluster volumne management
>> software and automates the whole setup, as well as the addition and
>> removal of disks.
>
> The original link was already posted by mr. Rogerson. That's what started
> the SAME discussion. Search this discussion for
> 'shut up you donut' ... ;-)

Absolutely Shakespeare.

Do me a favour Mark - as well as replying directly to me via email could you also forward the link above to Sybrand BAkker (sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl) who is a "Senior Oracle DBA" who has never heard of SAME - suprising considering I'd have thought a "senior" would have some experience or knowledge of setting up Oracle in the first place!

That's what started most of this "battle" as it where; the fact that Oracle recommends SAME whereas we in SQL Server land do something different.

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson