Re: High Availability Options

From: Toni Schmidbauer <toni_at_stderror.at>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 19:01:30 +0200

At Wed, 28 May 2008 16:24:05 -0700 (PDT), Pat wrote:
> How does the sun cluster work in this case. Is it mirroring the disk
> as well, or does the cluster share disk via a san or some such? Also,
> does it work across the WAN e.g. would this work in a DR environment
> as well, or is this just a solution for having hot failover in the
> primary site?

the normal configuration is a two node cluster with shared san disks. we have two datacenters with one storage box (hds nsc55) on each location. we use host based mirroring between the two boxes (veritas vxvm). the distance between the two sites is about 11km.

for better availability we have also a third cluster node at another location. this node is a normal cluster member but as no access to the shared san disks.

the 2 hosts running oracle are connect via 2 separate fabrics to each storage box. so we the following mirror setup:

nsc55-ds1-lun0 <--> nsc55-ds2-lun0

with all the infrastructure necessary for this configuration i'm unsure if this setup is really cheaper then dataguard. thing is we have quite a lot experience with this kind of setup, so it just works for us.

hth,
toni

--
If you understand what you're doing, you're | toni at stderror dot at
not learning anything.                      | Toni Schmidbauer