Re: 9i to 10G on new server -exp/imp the only way?

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:54:09 +0200

On Fri, 30 May 2008 05:45:42 +0200, GS wrote (in article <GLK%j.574$cV.559_at_edtnps92>):

> I think I answered the question with the title of this post, but it
> leaves me wondering why Oracles upgrade assistant only works if the
> database you are upgrading from is on the same machine. I know MS-SQL is
> a different beast, but it does effortless upgrades from one machine to
> another and the basic premise is the same, except in Oracle you are
> moving many schema's over while MSSQL is moving one schema (database)
>
> Or is there another reason Oracle can't do this? Normally exp/imp is no
> problem as the ones I have done so far are relatively small, but I am
> doing a bigger one now (still small by database standards at 20GB) and
> it is DOG SLOW, 2 hours so far and it's only part way through the first
> of many schemas I am moving over.

I think this depends on what objects and object counts are in the database. In a 2T database, just pulling data + indexes over to a new database took about 20 hours (using pl/sql and dbms_metadata). The final exp/imp full to add the remaining objects added 10 hours. (a database with more than 1000000 synonyms ....)

--
With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten,
Ronald

http://ronr.blogspot.com/
http://ronr.nl/unix-dba