Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:25:13 +0100

Which all goes back to my previous point that I got flamed about....

> Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a
> SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have
> very
> different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability; take

You have your knowledge as demonstrated on the Oracle engine - I sincerely hope you don't try and apply that knowledge to SQL Server.

You need to understand how SQL Server works and not blindly adopt the belief that works for Oracle will work for SQL Server - it doesn't.

On an additional note; SQL Server has cache, it has LRU and other algolrthyms to deal with what is kept in cache, we have read ahead reads to improve getting large chunks of data off disk. SQL Server only writes the log immediately, the data (dirty pages) (MDF / NDF) files are written lazyly and batched up to get them on disk more efficiently.

My ideaology may suck for the oracle engine but that wasn't the OP's question, the OP "Anyone can recommend some links, some books?" for SQL Server and I made the valid comment which frankly still stands....

> Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a
> SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have
> very
> different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability; take

So Joel, as one of the people in the ORacle forums I actually respect do you not think that apply oracle ideaology to SQL Server is a good idea? Or, is it not better to do like I stated and don't try and apply oracle theory - instead make sure you understand how the SQL Server engine works which is where David's link comes in.

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson