Re: High Availability Options

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:23:39 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 5:05 pm, Pat <pat.ca..._at_service-now.com> wrote:

> so that more or less meets my production criteria (although the SAN
> does remain a single point of failure, albeit an unlikely one)

I have to say, it is not unlikely. I've personally seen it about every other year including various unrelated sites, large and small. Maybe half have been due to some stupid thing like the electrician ignoring all protocol, coming in and pulling the plug. Some have been much more scary, like things going bonkers without giving error messages. I'm not including performance issues.

Of course, my experience may be skewed, but we've seen a fair number of posts here over the years like "we don't have backups because the SAN was guaranteed..." and "performance goes in the toilet every day at 3PM and nothing else is running."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://littletutorials.com/2008/05/28/13-reasons-java-die-old-age/