Re: "Snapshot too Old" exception when writing to a Global Temp Table.

From: Jimbo1 <jamestheboarder_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 21:27:47 -0700 (PDT)

On May 29, 1:44 pm, Dion Cho <ukja.d..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5월29일, 오전11시29분, Jimbo1 <jamestheboar..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 29, 11:38 am, Dion Cho <ukja.d..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Just to clarify your situation, is your column is LOB type?
>
> > > Dion Cho
>
> > Ana, thanks for your response. I appreciate the irony, re. my
> > 'fact'! ;o)
> > Dion, One of the columns in the temp table is a CLOB.
>
> You need to check your whole error message.
> If your error message contains actual rollback segment name, you have
> rollback failure on normal data.
> But if your error message contains no valid rollback segment name(like
> blank), the failure is on the lob segment.
>
> LOB has its own mechanism for rollback and reason for snapshot too old
> error.
> For e.g., low pctversion or lob corruption.
> Search metalink for that.
>
> Dion Cho

Hi Dion,

Thanks for your illuminating post. You're just identified my problem. The error message I'm getting is indeed:

"ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number with name "" too small"

So from what you're saying, it looks like the failure I'm experiencing is definitely on the LOB segment.

I was wondering why no rollback segment name was being quoted, but as I don't have the privs to see the rollback segment(s) (worse luck), I was assuming this was just a default rollback segment that hadn't been explicitly named.

I haven't done this much work with LOBs before, so am pretty inexperienced in this area. You've just cleared the fog of perplexity.

Thanks once again for your help.

James Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 23:27:47 CDT

Original text of this message