Re: High Availability Options

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:59:12 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 2:20 pm, Pat <pat.ca..._at_service-now.com> wrote:
> So, I've been asked to propose a HA solution for an Oracle database.
> My original proposal was:
>
> Production RAC cluster in data center A
> DR Database (no cluster) in data center B
>
> I originally proposed Oracle Enterprise at both sites with dataguard
> being used to keep DR in synch with the prod cluster.
>
> Naturally, that particular configuration added up to some serious
> money (I don't recall the details, but I think we had 20+ LU's worth
> of Oracle Enterprise at $40k a pop). Probably not surprisingly, the
> customer came back and said "dear lord, can't you give us an HA
> architecture for less money?"
>
> Which brings me here. Are there any other best practises or
> recommended approaches for a High Availability Oracle configuration
> that don't rely on dataguard and Oracle Enterprise?

You don't need EE for RAC necessarily.

You don't need RAC at all necessarily for HA. Actually as Moans Nogood has demonstrated often people lose reliability and availability when implementing RAC.

Start by defining exactly what HA means to the customer. How much downtime can they tolerate and how often? Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 18:59:12 CDT

Original text of this message