Re: High Availability Options

From: Pat <pat.casey_at_service-now.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:24:05 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 3:06 pm, Toni Schmidbauer <t..._at_stderror.at> wrote:
> At Wed, 28 May 2008 11:20:23 -0700 (PDT),
>
> Pat wrote:
> > Which brings me here. Are there any other best practises or
> > recommended approaches for a High Availability Oracle configuration
> > that don't rely on dataguard and Oracle Enterprise?
>
> we (datacenter for banks in little austria) are using sun cluster (sc)
> as a solution for our mission critical databases. nowadays sc 3.2
> under solaris 10. oracle is well supported under sc and in the last
> 3-4 years this solution has been proven to be very stable. only
> drawback is the failover time for the database(s) which is between 1-4
> minutes. but it depends on the application using the database if this
> is a problem.
>
> feel free to ask further questions
>
> hth
> toni
> --
> If you understand what you're doing, you're | toni at stderror dot at
> not learning anything. | Toni Schmidbauer
> -- Anonymous |

How does the sun cluster work in this case. Is it mirroring the disk as well, or does the cluster share disk via a san or some such? Also, does it work across the WAN e.g. would this work in a DR environment as well, or is this just a solution for having hot failover in the primary site? Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 18:24:05 CDT

Original text of this message