Re: High Availability Options

From: bdbafh <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:21:28 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 2:20 pm, Pat <> wrote:
> So, I've been asked to propose a HA solution for an Oracle database.
> My original proposal was:
> Production RAC cluster in data center A
> DR Database (no cluster) in data center B
> I originally proposed Oracle Enterprise at both sites with dataguard
> being used to keep DR in synch with the prod cluster.
> Naturally, that particular configuration added up to some serious
> money (I don't recall the details, but I think we had 20+ LU's worth
> of Oracle Enterprise at $40k a pop). Probably not surprisingly, the
> customer came back and said "dear lord, can't you give us an HA
> architecture for less money?"
> Which brings me here. Are there any other best practises or
> recommended approaches for a High Availability Oracle configuration
> that don't rely on dataguard and Oracle Enterprise?

Some companies exist with their primary focus being the negotiation of discounts (of software) with companies such as Oracle.

I believe that the TPC reports typically list a 20-25% discount for the Oracle database server software. Start there and see where that goes ...

Here is a link to a podcast that might interest you: (I haven't viewed/ listed to it yet),295582,sid182_gci1314611,00.html

DESCRIPTION: Eliot Colon, president and COO of Miro Consulting Inc., talks with Linda Tucci, senior news writer for, about tips for getting the most out of your software licensing agreements. Miro, a Ford, N. J.-based advisory firm, provides consulting services for Oracle and Microsoft clients seeking help with their software licensing assets.

-bdbafh Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 14:21:28 CDT

Original text of this message