Re: it possible to recover drop table in oracle 9i

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:07:52 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 8:24 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> > On May 28, 5:48 pm, "rajnikant.par..._at_gmail.com"
> > <rajnikant.par..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Dear All
>
> >> I have accidently drop a table, Is it possible to recover this table
> >> in oracle 9i ?
> >> I have no backup
> >> and My database is running in archive log mode.
>
> >> Can i recover a table from log file ?
>
> >> Thank you
>
> >> Raj
>
> > Since 9i doesn't have flashback functionality, your only option is to
> > perform incomplete recovery (point-in-time recovery) to the time just
> > before the drop, export the table and then restore the database (for
> > example, from a cold backup taken just before the incomplete
> > recovery,) and import the table. This obviously requires a full backup
> > taken before the drop which you don't seem to have, so the answer is
> > "regrettably no."
>
> > Regards,
> > Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> > N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> > http://www.dynamicpsp.com
>
> A very minor clarification. As of 9.0.1 Oracle included the
> DBMS_FLASHBACK built-in package. But it won't address a dropped
> table only deleted rows.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

I stand corrected. My initial wording was sloppy, I should've stated that "flashback DROP functionality" is not available in 9i.

Thanks,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 12:07:52 CDT

Original text of this message