Re: Oracle 10g2 on RHEL 5 - sqlplus problem

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:42:37 +0200

<nuffnough_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht news:4a5652c4-4692-457d-8f53-4e391062bd7e_at_j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com... On May 28, 10:40 am, nuffno..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On May 28, 6:12 am, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
>

> > <nuffno..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi.
>
> > > I have jsut installed Oracle 10g2 on RHEL 5. I create my listener
> > > file. Set my environment variables (sid, ld library path, etc) and
> > > then, as the oracle user, I try to run sqlplus '/ as sysdba'. It
> > > does nothing. Doesn't report an error, just returns me back to my
> > > prompt.
>
> > > I have absolutely no idea where to start to troubleshoot this. I've
> > > been running this with RHEL3 for a couple of years now with no
> > > problems. I need to upgrade because the new hardware I am getting
> > > doesn't support RHEL3, but if I can't get sqlplus running, it is a
> > > showstopper.
>
> > > Please help!
>
> > > Thanks!!
>
> > > nuffi
>
> > Do you run the *correct* sqlplus executable ? Try doing "which sqlplus"
> > see the location of the executable. Maybe there is a shell script with
> > the
> > same name which is found first in your path.
>
> > Matthias
>
> The sqlplus path is the same on myRHEL5 box as it is on my production
> RHEL3 boxes, but I have just noticed it is an empty file dated:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle dba 0 Jun 30 2005 sqlplus (RHEL5)
>
> instead of:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle dba 8831 May 17 06:18 sqlplus
> (RHEL3)
>
> This is the same install media for both systems, why would the files
> be different?

-Further investigation of the ~home/bin directory reveals many files
-are different, empty or even missing altogether.  Does it make sense
-that the files would be so different in RHEL5?  I have no x windows
-and rely on response files.  Is a RHEL3 response file incompatible
-with RHEL5?

Only one error message would have been enough to make your response file unusable....
I would get an X-windows tool and redo the installation. It's clear that it's broken.

Shakespeare Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 02:42:37 CDT

Original text of this message