Re: Oracle external view schema discrepancy

From: <strepxe_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 21:41:49 -0700 (PDT)

You are correct. My mistake in posing my query. What I meant to say was field01 appears in the schema definition as an integer. It appears as an integer by virtue of the fact that it is defined by NUMBER(x) where x is an integer > 0. However when you select from the view you get values for field01 which include float values e.g. 2.4, 3.8 etc. I suppose what I'm asking is if there is any guarantee that the schema DESCription for a view based on external tables will accurately reflect the content? I am hopeful that your suggestion about CASTing the field might solve my problem. I need to check this out. As long as it does not have a significant performance hit on returning data compared to present behaviour it could be a solution. Received on Tue May 27 2008 - 23:41:49 CDT

Original text of this message