Re: Oracle 10g2 on RHEL 5 - sqlplus problem

From: <nuffnough_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:03:15 -0700 (PDT)

On May 28, 10:40 am, nuffno..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On May 28, 6:12 am, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
>

> > <nuffno..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi.
>
> > > I have jsut installed Oracle 10g2 on RHEL 5.  I create my listener
> > > file.  Set my environment variables (sid, ld library path, etc) and
> > > then, as the oracle user, I try to run sqlplus '/ as sysdba'.   It
> > > does nothing.   Doesn't report an error,  just returns me back to my
> > > prompt.
>
> > > I have absolutely no idea where to start to troubleshoot this.   I've
> > > been running this with RHEL3 for a couple of years now with no
> > > problems.  I need to upgrade because the new hardware I am getting
> > > doesn't support RHEL3, but if I can't get sqlplus running, it is a
> > > showstopper.
>
> > > Please help!
>
> > > Thanks!!
>
> > > nuffi
>
> > Do you run the *correct* sqlplus executable ? Try doing "which sqlplus" to
> > see the location of the executable. Maybe there is a shell script with the
> > same name which is found first in your path.
>
> > Matthias
>
> The sqlplus path is the same on myRHEL5 box as it is on my production
> RHEL3 boxes,  but I have just noticed it is an empty file dated:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 oracle dba          0 Jun 30  2005 sqlplus   (RHEL5)
>
> instead of:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 oracle   dba          8831 May 17 06:18 sqlplus
> (RHEL3)
>
> This is the same install media for both systems,  why would the files
> be different?

Further investigation of the ~home/bin directory reveals many files are different, empty or even missing altogether. Does it make sense that the files would be so different in RHEL5? I have no x windows and rely on response files. Is a RHEL3 response file incompatible with RHEL5? Received on Tue May 27 2008 - 20:03:15 CDT

Original text of this message