Re: instant client RH EL 4.4 sqlplus

From: joel garry <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

On May 27, 4:38 am, wrote:
> Hello,
> Am trying to configure instant client 10_2 on RH EL 4.4.
> So have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH and ORACLE_HOME to the dir where the
> unzipped instant client lives.
> However cannot seem to connect to remote DB using sqlplus like so:
> sqlplus user/password_at_IPAddress:1521/FRED
> Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
> Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
> SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software
> directory
> But if I invoke sqlplus user/password_at_FRED on the remote box this
> works purfect.
> I guess I am missing something, but not being an expert I am not sure
> what!
> Anyone care to advise?
> Kevin
> .

I'm wondering if your ipaddress is properly specified - put in two slashes after the @ sign?

Also, can you connect with the oracle style connection string like in your tnsnames.ora:
sqlplus user/password@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)   (HOST=ipaddress) (PORT=1521))
  (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=FRED))) In the past I recall that I had trouble, then tried it again following the directions exactly, including putting the tnsnames.ora in the instant client directory, and it suddenly all worked. But that was a different version and platform.

-- is bogus.
Welcome to California.  Now go back to Chicago.
word: cainitte