Oracle external view schema discrepancy

From: <strepxe_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 00:38:07 -0700 (PDT)

hi,

one of our customers has created an external view (view on external base tables in a different schema / database type). we do a DESC on a table or view to find out what the datatype is for a field using the oracle account for our application.
- if it is a VARCHAR2 we treat it as a string

  • if it is a NUMBER(x) we treat it as an integer
  • if it is a NUMBER(x,y) we treat it as a float we have noticed for external views the DESC can say that the field is an integer but when we do a SELECT it produces float values for the field. e.g. DESC on EXT_TBL_1 says FIELD01 is VARCHAR(5) but a SELECT FIELD01 FROM EXT_TBL_1 gives values of 2,4,3.5,2.1.

my questions are:
- is this a bug or expected behaviour?

  • is there anyway to 'force' the view to give a particular DESC for fields at creation time?

thanks,

g Received on Tue May 27 2008 - 02:38:07 CDT

Original text of this message