Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 05:31:05 +0100

> So you are insulting me on the basis that I agreed with something you
> said. Was my mistake to not agree with everything you said?

Perhaps next time you might not start your answer to one of my legitimate threads with....

"talk about Oracle from a position of
knowledge rather than one of ignorance"

"criticising Oracle "

My first reply was the post below which is accurate (ORacle recommend SAME) and you now seem to be aggreeing with me - so next time just cut the instulting crap and stop trying to be an idiot like what's expected from the likes of Morgan and Sybrand; you need to learn if you take a particularly agressive tone with people you'll more than likely get that tone back....

Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have very different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability; take one - I believe in ORacle the recommend practice is to create one RAID 10 array and plonk the data on that; in SQL Server we don't do it that way - we put the logs on their own mirrored pair; we put the data on it's own RAID 10 array etc...

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson