Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:33:13 -0700

Tony Rogerson wrote:

> Look idiot, in response to the orginal OP I said this...

Good job Tony. Lead with your professionalism. Earn the respect of your peers. Way to go.

> Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a
> SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have very
> different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability

Apparently you've missed the fact that SQL Server 2008 will be sold as "Certified by Oracle" as the result of Microsoft's agreement to duplicate Oracle database functionality. First IBM did it with DB2. Now Microsoft is following suit.

All spreadsheets must read Excel format to be marketable. All word processors must read Word format to be marketable. All databases must comply with Oracle's RDBMS functionality. The database war is over.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor