Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:38:38 +0200

On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:12:47 +0100, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net> wrote:

>> To get back to the original question, what should we read to get a clear
>> picture of how to set up and use SQL Server, that is written by someone
>> who does not annoy us every third paragraph by demonstrating a serious
>> misunderstanding of relational theory, SQL standards, or even basic
>> computing principles. And further, who is not making the same mistake
>> we discussed above, i.e. to assume that all systems are the same and
>> that some specific experience of theirs is a general principle.
>
>Look idiot, in response to the orginal OP I said this...

Sadly, you label anyone with Oracle experience as 'idiot'. How telling. Doing so, it appears you are the *true* idiot.

>Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a
>SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have very
>different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability

The same applies to applying sqlserver concepts to Oracle. Now guess how many idiot sqlserver developers produce an Oracle version of their products by simply 'porting it' without change? This invariably results in an unscalable application, which isn't strange as most Microsoft products, including the O/S, are by design unscalable.

>I'm not the one trying to apply the same techniques, strategies, doctrine to
>different products; by not agreeing with the statement I made (copied above
>because you appear to be null and void of intelligence) then you obviously
>think that you can apply oracle logic to SQL Server install - which, like I
>stated - you can't.

Actually there is no one with Oracle experience who would do that. Yet the planet is flooded with sqlserver dumbheads who do apply sqlserver logic to an Oracle install.

>I note you never commented on my remark about "unbreakable" - speaks
>volumes...

There is no need to comment on that, as Mickeysoft Winblows usually needs to be patched about every few days to avert attacks. I still remember the day when Mickeysoft broke Oracle by upgrading Winsucks 1 to Winsucks2 without telling.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA