ALTER TABLE question

From: <mark.goodwin_at_lycos.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 11:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, I need to alter a table by adding a column and adding this column to a cluster already on the table. I don't know how to do it. There is a section in the Oracle online documentation on altering clustered tables but it doesn't really help. http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/clustrs004.htm#sthref2105

I cannot find an example on Morgans library either.

If I was to create my existing table I would use something like the following. I have simplified it considerably just to get my point across. The production implementation is far from this simple.

create cluster testcluster(no1 number,no2 number) size 300 index; create table testtable(no1 number,no2 number) cluster testcluster(no1,no2);

If I was to create my new structure table and cluster, I would use the following.

create cluster testcluster(no1 number,no2 number,no3 number) size 300 index;
create table testtable(no1 number,no2 number,no3 number) cluster testcluster(no1,no2,no3);

What I want to do is to MODIFY my existing table and cluster however so that they have the new structure.

Can this be done and if so, how.

This is my first post to this newsgroup and my apologies if I am being too direct in my request for help. Finally we are currently 11.1.0 on Solaris 10. Thank you for reading.

Mark Received on Mon May 26 2008 - 13:37:17 CDT

Original text of this message