Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:12:48 +0100

On 2008-05-26, Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net> wrote:
>> Way back when in oracle most of the dba's did understand to get
>> different disks and isolate their online log IO patterns from the rest
>> of the database. Go back to reading the concepts manual if you don't
>> get this part.
>
> Whilst I recognise you are just being dumb for my benefit this is exactly
> what I was saying and there is no need for me to read any oracle concepts
> manual.

Unless, of course, you want to talk about Oracle from a position of knowledge rather than one of ignorance.

> The point I made was that the way you layer the raid array in oracle and sql
> server are totally different - oracle recommends SAME, in sql server we do
> something different.

Of course the important thing is that there is a difference. However, you give the impression of criticising Oracle when you don't know enough about the what and why of the differences to make any meaningful comparison.

E Received on Mon May 26 2008 - 10:12:48 CDT

Original text of this message