Re: sounds like 11.2 will be out before the end of 2008 calendar year

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 10:02:36 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:
> My oracle user group had Tom Kyte in for the 1st day of a 2 day
> education event yesterday. He noted that 11.2 will be out before the
> end of the the 2008 calendar year.
> He also noted that is now available for linux. As far as the
> 11.2 "pre-announcement" I was somewhat surprised.
> I still don't see patchset available yet for linux via
> metalink.

Tom certainly knows a lot more about such things than I do but here is what I know for a fact:

  1. Late betas of 11.2 have not begun.
  2. Oracle created a very different release expectation at the EMEA President's Council meeting in Munich two weeks ago. I can't discuss specifics but it did not involve 2008.

What should show up before the end of 2008 is the patch and the patch.

If anyone is planning to move to 11g they should go forward with 11gR1 rather than wait. The anticipated "big" changes in 11gR2 will not affect most organizations.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group