Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 15:35:08 -0700

Fabio Zanotti wrote:

> On 22 Mag, 23:47, "David Portas"
> <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dpor..._at_acm.org> wrote:

>> "NetComrade" <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote in message

>>> Anyone can recommend some links, some books?
>>> We support about two dozen Oracle dbs, and seems like we'll be getting
>>> a few SQL Servers to look into, and are just not read to hire a SQL
>>> DBA yet, but we'll look into outsourcing some stuff initially (and
>>> learn along).
>>> Thanks
>>> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
>>> We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups
>> The "Inside" series is a must-have for DBAs.
>>
>> http://www.insidesqlserver.com/
>>
>> --
>> David Portas
>
> For a start read this white paper:
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/whitepapers/sql-server-2005-oracle-pros.mspx
>
> Regards,
> Fabio Zanotti

Better than most of what I've seen but hopelessly flawed at the most basic level of Oracle architecture. Take the very first sentence at the beginning of the document under the heading "Database Architecture."

"In Oracle, a database refers to the entire Oracle RDBMS environment"

It does not. The bullet points are a bit better but lumping control files under "Miscellaneous files" is a gross misjudgment and there is no such file as config.ora.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor